Friday, May 9, 2014

Mechanicus Praetorien Herakli

Never was really satisfied with the paint job on the praetorian servitor, hence I never really got around to finishing him. For once I actually have repainted something, which I normally hate and avoid at all costs, but I did realise if I ever should get it finished I had to. And I'm happy I decided to do it too - already like the result much better, still some way to go, but it's getting there. I only have one problem, which is red, I can't really find any good spots to paint red, and do some cog pattern, so I have tried working it into the metal instead, not really sure if it works or not. If I decide against it, I think I might repaint the connection bit, between the torso and tracks in red. I also worked a bit more on the OSL than usual and I'm quie happy with the result. It's a bit subtle compared to a lot of other OSL out there, but I'm not really a fan of too much shine, honestly I think a lot of people overdo OSL - so this is the way I like it.




6 comments:

  1. That is extremely cool!

    If you are looking for more red then the round socket the torso is attached too (the part above the front fan) would be the logical place and would also take a red on white (or vice cersa) cog pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, that was the piece I meant too.

      Delete
  2. Agree that OSL is generally overdone. I think it comes from the fact your general OSL is just a final spray of airbrush on that particular area.

    Of course, what works in photos, and what works better on the tabletop are sometimes vastly different. Tabletop responds to extremely bold and contrasting colors. Photoed mini's don't react the same way, and those same exaggerated tones can seem excessive or out of place.

    I really like this model and conversion you are working on. It's very unique. My only suggestion would be to darken the creases in the skin. That could also be the photographs/lighting though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Greg. The skin doesn't photograph very well. There is another photo in a previous post, showing the skin much better, try following the tag.
      I agree there is a huge difference between tabletop visibility and actual "painting". I do think however that the over done, kind of ruin it's own illusion.

      Delete
  3. Nice! I really dig the new look - very cool stuff, man!

    ReplyDelete